Tuesday, February 15, 2011

V-day : For those who do not believe in it

V-day – Are you among the people who starts smiling as soon as you think about this day? If not, then this blog is for you :)

Whenever this day is approaching I think in my heart, what am I going to get this time? will there be any surprise? how will the day go and on and on. No, it was not like this always. I remember the post-grad days when I used to attend the get-togethers on 14th feb which were arranged for people who were “single”. But was I not jealous of other couples who were roaming hand in hand on the roads of Pune (where Shiv sena had strict orders that no boy should be seen with a girl :-))??


Let me start from the very start when all this was vey new to us (or at least for me). I was in 10th standard in school and had heard that there is something called as Valentine’s day. I was like “what the hell is it??” and then later in the day heard from few of my “famous” friends that they got roses and cards. I thought Oh they are not good girls:P I know I was wrong.. Very wrong!

Then 11th standard passed without any luck and so was 12th about to go. I went along with a friend to a happening place in a small city of haridwar,it was called Archie’s gallery. She was buying a V-day card for someone special and it made me so irritated that this year also I will have no one to give a v-day card. I just picked one beautiful card and asked her “hey whom should I give this to as I do not have any bf” and she innocently suggested some 3-4 names randomly from our class. I was not even friendly with them so I picked “One” to whom I never even smiled or said “hello” in my whole school life. Not sure why I picked him but yes I picked one. That was the day when I was all excited and smiley. Imagine there was no one in my life but still the feeling was so good. It was like sharing few words of love with someone. That is another thing that by the time I reached back home from that shop, my feeling had died and I never gave that card to “him” .

And then as years passed by I celebrated lot of Valentines Day with some special people who were my friends, my best friends. I roamed around with them like crazy, laughed with them like never laughed before and chatted till early hours of morning outside the hostel building (yet inside hostel gate :)) .After I got married I always celebrated it with my best friend, my husband .

People say we don’t need to celebrate any 1 day as we celebrate every day of the year. Really?? Is it true? Or is it an excuse because you do not wish to put any extra effort?? Alright, who am I to judge your relationship. I agree that you celebrate it throughout the year then what is the problem in celebrating it on 14th Feb as well ? My point here is not to force you to celebrate V-day my point is that if we get 1 extra opportunity to love our loved ones then why miss it? Life is too small to leave such beautiful and romantic opportunities. Flowers, chocolates are not important but telling our loved ones how much we love them, how important they are to us is such an amazing feeling. Would you mind your spouse telling you that he/she loves you more than anyone else ? Or would you not like if your little kid gives you a hand made greeting card showing his/her innocent feelings for you ? or would it be too much for you if early morning your dad calls you up and says that you are the best child one could ever have. My answer to all these questions is “No, I would love it more than anything else” .

Whether you r married or not, you have kids or not it does not matter..Surprise someone you love by giving a bunch of roses today and you will understand how special it makes you feel. By the way the guy in my 12th standard for whom I bought the card is now my husband, I never knew this 13 years back but I am sure destiny knew it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment